Resuming contributions

Sat, Oct 1, 2011 2:32 PM


I just encountered your website today and I found it very informative and helpful. I've been a freelancer since 2008 and honestly I haven't been remitting taxes, sss and philhealth contributions since then. May I ask for advice on what to do so I can resume contributions to these agencies? Will I be "fined"? There are also months when I don't have projects, how do I go about the contributions?




Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Hello Cris,

I hope that you are well. Thank you for writing and for visiting the website. I'm glad to know that you've found it very informative and helpful. I also began freelancing in 2008, and it was only in early 2009 that I was able to drop by BIR-Marikina to inquire from them directly about my taxation concerns. Don't worry about the fine. I wasn't penalized for the months I failed to remit my monthly taxes. What I did was to express my sincere intention to pay my taxes dutifully as a freelancer. I was then advised to register as a professional income tax earner. It might help you more if you'd visit the taxpayer's guide page; I've listed there the requirements that I also submitted to the BIR. I am uncertain if they vary per region, but readying the requirements listed on the page might lessen your paper work later.

So there are also months when you too don't get projects. Welcome to the club! :) No worries, we only file directly to the BIR for those months. You may visit the non-income months page for details. Feel free to write back for other questions you may have. A blessed day to you and your family!




Hi again, Cris. I almost forgot, please visit The Filipino freelancers' guide to paying taxes and securing social benefits page. I update it once in a while. I hope that helps.