Employee to self-employed

Sun, Oct 23, 2011 5:15 PM

Hello Miss Al. First of all I'd like to thank you for your posts about paying taxes. My question is what if I used to be an employee but now practice as a self-employed income earner, will the process of registering as a professional be different for me? Thanks.


Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Dear Loid,

Thank you for writing. I'm happy to know that you've found my posts on paying taxes helpful, and that you used to be an employee but now work as a self-employed income earner. Congratulations! We hear news about people losing jobs, and that isn't good news at all. So I rejoice every time I hear from a fellow freelancer like you. I'm also glad to know that you're thinking of registering with the BIR. I've actually put up the taxation pages on my website to encourage fellow freelancers to register. Why? Because that will also do them good particularly in terms of continuing their social benefits . . . and more. ;) Now, with regard to your question . . .

I'm uncertain about whether your BIR registration is going to be different because that largely depends on the nature of your work. Are you a licensed practitioner? Do you rent an office? Has your office made its physical presence in your area? There may be other questions, so feel free to visit your BIR Regional District Office for guidance. I'm sure that the BIR personnel will be most knowledgeable about the registration process most suitable for your work.

Meantime, please be encouraged to visit the Freelancers' guide to paying taxes and securing social benefits. I've been updating this website section and I've included there bits of information on how freelancers can continue their social benefits contribution. If you have further questions, simply email me back.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.